Friday, March 6, 2015

Physics + Art = Film


I've begun to have a fixation on a concept. A concept which with a process of analysis can develop into a tangible product. It may seem a bit abstract, but that just opens the door too many possibilities. What is going to be difficult is constraining a broad idea into a logical progression of moments for a film.

The idea (which keeps running through my head) is as follows: Shadows are the connection between the 2 dimensional world and the 3rd dimensional world.

I can't stop thinking about this because I keep finding different truths in it. When we are viewing a 3 dimensional object, the shadow it casts is 2 dimensional. In art, the effective depiction of shadows is what creates a 3 dimensional sensation in a 2 dimensional drawing.

This idea came to me during a physics lessons on rotational motion, where we analyzed the shadow of an object going in a circular motion and how its 2 dimensional shadow related to the motion of springs. This translation of dimensions through shadows was later was reinforced with the concept of chiaroscuro in my art class.

Now, I have to somehow develop this concept of the purpose of shadows into a narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment